Children of Incarcerated Caregivers seeks to help alleviate the negative impact that incarceration of a parent can have on their children.
Parental incarceration often leads to long-term detrimental consequences for children. Learn more about the impact that parental incarceration can have on children.
In reality, incarcerated parents affect more children than you may think.
- Almost 3 million children have an incarcerated parent
- Over 10 million children have experienced parental incarceration
- Rates of parents living with their children prior to incarceration are substantially higher than the national average
- Sixty-six percent of incarcerated women were living with their children prior to arrest (compared to the national rate of fifty-five percent)
- Fifty-six percent of incarcerated men were living with their children prior to arrest (compared to the national rate of 51% percent)